ROYAL AUSTRALIAN NAVY COMMUNICATIONS BRANCH ASSOCIATION
Registrations for the subject National Reunion will close on 30th September 2016. The ACT National Reunion Team are very pleased with the number of registrations received to date which totals close to 300.
We would like to thank those that have registered, and we appreciate the fact that this gives us some figures to work with. It is also very pleasing to look through those registered and see that we have members from all States and Territories and even some from overseas.
Expressions of Interest came from somewhere well over 430. We would like to see at least 400 attendees and therefore will leave registrations open until 30th September 2016.
Our new program has been listed below. The major change is that the Last Post Ceremony will now be held on Wednesday 9th November and not 10th. This means that the second or PM Lake Cruise on the 9th cannot be held.
On Thursday 10th the Bus Trip and the Golf will still be held. The bus trip now includes a visit to HMAS Harman, it is however limited to 100 persons and most of the seats have already been taken. More details on the trip to HMAS Harman is below. Please note the trip to HMAS Harman has not yet been approved by Harman Executive, but we are more than hopeful.
Every effort has been made to keep prices reasonable, while at the same time ensuring that all who attend will have an enjoyable time. This program will be displayed on the RANCBA website www.rancba.org.au and updated if and when necessary. Limited information will be on the RANCBA Facebook Page.
Registration Fees and Other Costs – NB. All merchandise must be ordered before 2nd Sept 2016.
Information Re Program
1. The Hellenic Club is situated in the Woden Town Centre (also known as the suburb of Phillip). The ACT Bus Service (called Action), run a service called ‘Rapid’ which departs the Woden area every 15 minutes during the day and more regular in peak periods. The ‘Rapid’ services link all the ACT town centres and large shopping areas.
2. There are two good motel/hotels in the Woden area which are within easy walking distance of the Hellenic Club. They are the ‘Abode, The Apartment Hotel’ and ‘Quality Hotel within the Woden Tradies Club.’ For those wishing to stay in the City or Civic as it is known we have the Quest Apartments. There are however numerous hotels and motels across the ACT and surrounds. The Hellenic Club, The Canberra Southern Cross Club (CSCC), and the Woden Tradies Club all provide drinks and meals at club prices and offer senior priced meals as well as daily specials We are hoping that free membership of the Hellenic Club for the Reunion duration, will be provided. The Canberra Southern Cross Club and the Woden Tradies are clubs in this same area and are likely to do something similar. There are no charges for interstate people entering ACT Clubs, free membership or special membership will save signing in on each visit.
3. There are numerous cafes, restaurants and shops in Westfield Woden area and all within easy walking distance.
4. We hope that most will be able to make their own way to the planned events, and lifts where possible can be provided by local members. In some instances it may be necessary to arrange carpooling, maxi taxis or similar transport. Once again this will depend upon the numbers.
5. The program will ensure that all will have plenty of time to chinwag with old ship mates.
6. Visit to HMAS Harman likely program AM 10th June
7. 0915 - Busses depart Woden
8. 0945 - Busses arrive (and wait) at entrance to HMAS Harman and are met by escorts.
9. 0950 - Escorts conduct head-count/safety brief, then report to security
10. 0955 - Busses enter Harman and proceed directly to area in vicinity of Junior Sailors Mess (visitors disembark on arrival and proceed to ceremonial location - additional escorts will be made available to meet busses)
11. 0955 - Personnel attending ceremony from Harman/DNOC arrive (Dress TBC)
12. 1000 - RANCBA Ceremonial Event (Co-ordinated by RANCBA)
13. 1020 - Morning Tea - Junior Sailors Mess
14. 1115 - RANCBA members embark busses (escorts will be available)
15. 1120 - Bus tour of Harman
16. 1130 - Both Busses depart Harman
17. Busses undertake sightseeing tour of region
1. Registration opened on 1st February 2016 and close on 30th September 2016. Full payment will need to be made with the registrations. The committee will be using the secure online services of “Register Now’ for payments. A link to the Register Now site is here.
A list of those registered can be found here.
2. Please be aware that ‘all’ repeat ‘all’ refunds will attract an administration fee. The services of Register Now are not free, and these costs must be covered.
3. A hard copy registrations form is available. If you use this form for registration your details will still be included in the Register Now database. The hard copy registration form can be downloaded here.
1. Full details on what to do, what to see, and where to stay in Canberra, can be found at the www.visitcanberra.com.au. This is an excellent website.
2. The two hotel/motels in the Woden area are the ‘Abode’ and ‘Quality Hotel.’ In the city or civic we have ‘Quest Apartments’ Links and booking codes for these hotel/motels and the special discount rate will be advised early 2016.
3. The ACT and Canberra Region is a much bigger place than many of you may remember. With a population of 400,000 in Canberra and nearby 50,000 in Queanbeyan and 73,000 plus vehicles coming along the Barton Highway from the Yass area daily. A large number of vehicles are also coming along the Federal Highway, the main Sydney/Goulburn corridor.
4. As advised at the top of this item, information will be updated on the RANCBA website under the ‘Reunions’ as necessary and convenient to the website manager.
5. Any questions or queries should be address to all of the following email address. This will ensure that if one of us is on holidays your email will be answered.
President RANCBA ACT Chapter
25th August 2016